Vacuum can seamers
JK Somme's proven range of mechanical vacuum can seamers consists of two families: VR family with three members - VR 310, VR 318, and VR 320 - for closing round cans and Vacuum Master family with two members - Vacuum Master 485 and Vacuum Master 486 - for rectangular cans.
The VR family may close cans ranging from 52 to 153 mm at speeds up to 80 cans/min. Alternatively the Vacuum Master family may close irregular cans with a maximum diagonal of 160 mm at speeds up to 80 cans/min.
FAQ of vacuum seaming
What does it mean to seam a can under vacuum?
The filled can is placed in the interior of a hermetically sealed chamber where a pump extracts the air creating a vacuum. Once this vacuum has been created, a seaming head, placed inside the chamber, completes the seaming process. A vacuum degree is created inside the can.
If the can is filled with liquid the vacuum will take place in the head space; that is, the empty volume of the can between the liquid and the lid. In case the can holds only solid content the vacuum will take place all around the solid. As the free volume of the can increases also the vacuum degree will increase.
Why is shelf life extended?
Reducing the air inside a can implies lowering the chances of proliferating bacteria, moulds, etc. since these and other types of microorganisms need air in order to survive. After the can has been seamed oxygen levels will continue dropping while those of carbon dioxide will rise; creating an environment low in oxygen and high in carbon dioxide reducing the growth of those organisms that may harm the preserve and, therefore, extending its shelf life.
What are the key advantages of vacuum seaming?
- Cold filling of sauces as heating is not necessary to create a vacuum.
- No need of exhaust box heater or steam injection before seaming.
- The product keeps a fresher look as color will be more bright and natural.
- Saves money in liquids as the can doesn't need to be fully filled for seaming.
- Avoids the appearance of external product spots and moulds.
- Reduces chances of product burns during sterilization.
- No more bulged cans due to the vacuum degree inside of it.